Friday, March 16, 2012

Challenges for Friday (Carlos)

These are the challenges and questions for friday:

QUESTION 1 There’s an invertebrate that shares a habitat with green sea

urchins and hermit crabs. This echinoderm has five eyes, eats with its

stomach and breathes through its skin. Which animal is it?


Star Fish


CHALLENGE 1 | What is the function of the orange or white spot

in the center of that animal’s body?


Soaks on water and makes it work as a skeleton.


QUESTION 2 | On the second floor, there is a group of animals that moves

differently than most of the other fish in the Aquarium. These unique fish

come from “down under.” Which fish are they?


Silver Fish


CHALLENGE 2 | These “tube noses” have other relatives in the building.

What are they and where can you find them?


They are related to the sea horses and can be found all around the world.


QUESTION 3 | As you walk past the Giant Ocean Tank and move to the

cooler waters of the Pacific Northwest, try to find the animal that fits this

description:

“The hardest part of my body is my beak, but I am not a sea turtle or a bird. Actually, I don’t

have any bones at all. In order to escape from predators or to hunt, I can change the color and

texture of my body. I am very intelligent…one of the most intelligent animals in the Aquarium.

To keep me busy, the aquarists will lock my food in a box and I have to figure out how to open

it in order to get my tasty snack.”

Which animal is it?


Giant Pacific Octopus


CHALLENGE 3 | What is a cephalopod and what are some others

you can find around the building?


It is a head foot. Some others are the nautilus and the cuttle fish on the first floor.


QUESTION 4 | Several of our Giant Ocean Tank residents use beaks to eat

and catch food. One of the easiest to spot is the reptile. Which animals in

the GOT are reptiles?


The Sea Turtles


CHALLENGE 4 | Picture yourself as a marine biologist aboard a

glass-bottom boat in the waters off of Florida. A tourist reported

seeing an adult sea turtle with an injured flipper. You need to monitor

the turtle’s movements in order to see how serious the turtle’s

injuries are.

Now find the largest reptile in the Giant Ocean Tank and observe her

for at least five minutes. Think of three questions you would ask in

order to understand her behavior, and then answer these questions

with your observations.

A | Why do you sleep so much?

I sleep a lot because I am a big animal and I need a lot of energy.

B | Do you like to swim?

Yes, that is why I live in the water.

C | Would you like to live outside of the tank?

Yes, I would love to. I have not enough space to swim.


Here is the picture of the fish:



2 comments:

  1. Very difficult challenge, I learn things that I didn´t know about those fishes and other ocean animals, very interesting, great job you are doing.
    Saludos, Mauricio NSR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time tomorror skiing, take care and have fun.
    Saludos, Mauricio NSR

    ReplyDelete